Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Should I Stay or Should I Go?


I have met a lot of children’s pastors in my life. Anyone who knows me knows I like to network. Being a professional conference attendee, most of the children’s ministers I meet fall into one of three categories those who have found where God wants them to be, those who are not sure where they are suppose to be and those who want to leave where they are because they know that they are not presently where they are suppose to be. At different times in my ministry over the last thirty-five years I have been in all three categories.

My quest to find God’s plan for my life started in 1973. There I was minding my own business, selling drugs to my High School when one of my best friends told me eight words that rocked my world. Those same eight words still rock my world today. What are they? You know them, “ God has a wonderful plan for your life!” Jeremiah 29:11 tells us “I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” God’s plan for my life is so much better than the plans I came up with own my own. These last thirty-five years of serving Christ has been an amazing journey. I am so glad the Lord called me to minister to children and their families. It has been wild to see God place me in five wonderful churches under five wonderful pastors. There has been more deposited in me through the leaders, and the people God has brought into my life than I have ever given.

In watching people in children’s ministry in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s  and now in the 10’s I’ve come to realize finding a position in children’s ministry is not hard to do but
finding the right position is a lot harder. I am glad I went to every church that I’ve been on staff at. I’ve loved everyday I worked and served at each of them but I’ve also loved everyday that I haven’t worked at each of them too.  God used the four wonderful churches that were all part of his plan for me to prepare me for His plan for me, today!

        Over the years, I think I’ve heard every reason under the sun why people have decided to make a change. Some are negative and some are positive. Things like lack of vision from senior leadership, frustration or burnout on the part of the Children’s Pastor, moral and ethical failure, not willing to change (stubbornness), a loss of trust or confidence in leadership or in you, the church outgrows you or you outgrow the position or church, constant conflict as well as you’ve completed the task and it’s just time to go.  Some times the reason(s) to seek a change can me neutral or mutual, things like a change of philosophy or a change of pastor or you’ve been given a new assignment or promotion or you’ve been faithful in that which is another man’s and God gives you your own ministry. With all that stated, the only time to go is when God says to and gives you a release for your next adventure.  

More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Your last statement is key. I was in a ministry position that was difficult. It got to the point that I was regularly praying to leave. But the answer I kept hearing from God was "not yet." Then, months later, I knew it was time - my work had reached its conclusion at that place. As I look back, I can see the path that God led me from there to other opportunities...and what I would have missed if I had left too soon.

    I can't wait for the more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Scott, stop back by tomorrow

    ReplyDelete