Thursday, February 03, 2011

Why Can't We All Get Along-part 3

Structure is an amazing study to me. (In fact I'm working on a new book right now on the subject) One of the cool things about getting to travel to different churches is to see how they organize and structure their different ministries. For some reason a lot of churches like to do what they have always done. Because of this they have what they have always had. Just because you adopt a model for a season doesn’t mean you are married to it forever. There are many models to choose from today most I have found are a re-naming or re-positioning of older models. Also I am seeing that many people are moving to a family ministry model but they have not spent time defining what family ministry looks like to them and they put the family ministry name on an old Christian Education model. What you do to aid and assist the family is more important to me than what you call it.

3 comments:

  1. love your heart, bro jim. thanks for writing and teaching so much about structure. steve greenwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    I'd love to get your thoughts on how special needs ministry should or should not be a part of this "structure" conversation.

    There is some debate as to whether the responsibilities associated with disability accommodation should be carried by the minister/coordinator/director assigned to the corresponding age group or whether the legwork would fall under a separate and all -encompassing disability ministry.

    (By the way, I agree with your last sentence..."What you do to aid and assist the family is more important to me than what you call it.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done both... right now we have one person who also over sees our early childhood ministry over see the special needs ministry for all age group to me special needs is like over seeing multible services the hard thing is getting everyone to do the samething at the same time that why I now have one department overing the shepherds who work with our kids to mainstream them into what we are doing. The bottom line is we want to aid and asist the family.

    ReplyDelete