Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Power to Last -Part 3


How do I do this Jim? I’m so glad you asked. Here are my top ten list to have power to last over the long haul in children’s ministry.
10.      Never loose sight of who called you. Your pastor might have asked you but it was
Jesus who called you! He is with you! Matthew 28:20 tell us, “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." God equips those He calls. You already have the power. (The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead lives in you!) Over the years I have had to constantly remind myself who called me, who I’m doing what I do for and that He believes I can do what He’s asked me to do. If God is for you, who can be against you? It was not my idea to minister to kids I was seeking the Lord asking Him what He wanted me to do, it was His idea for me to minister to kids. I have seen over and over again that God’s plan for my life is better than any plan I could come up with on my own.
09.      Learn how to encourage yourself! My favorite example of this principle is found in
1 Samuel 30:6, “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.” This is a habit you must learn to last. It’s not your Pastor’s or your supervisor’s job to keep you refreshed, it’s yours. I use every tool in my tool belt, I go to church, I read my Bible
         I pray, I stay full of the Holy Spirit. I go to conferences and seminars and network
       with others. I also have learned the importance of rest. Take your day off!
   Exodus 23:12, says "Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work,
so that your ox and your donkey may rest and the slave born in your household, and the alien as well, may be refreshed.” Find a hobby or happy place (even if it’s work related, writing relaxes and refreshes me. Over the years so has fishing, cross-stitching, recording, writing, guitar collecting and playing, shooting, tennis and cycling.
08.      Stay Focused. Don’t get side tracked. There is a big difference between a God idea and a good idea. Not everything that’s a good idea is God’s will for you to do. God doesn’t give me a green light on every opportunity that presents itself. You must learn to live by your priorities. Make a list of God’s priorities for you and live by them.
07.      Guard your heart! Proverbs 4:23 says “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” My mother told me years ago, “Grow tough skin but keep a tender heart! How do I do this? I stay away from complainers and negative people.
   Never let bitterness set in. Examine your thoughts with the Word. Wrong thinking
causes strongholds to develop. Never compare yourself to others. In John 21:18-22, John writes “I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?")  When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."
   Weary in well doing and burned out don’t come from too much serving, they both
 come when you stop following Jesus and you don’t guard your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment