Monday, February 07, 2011

Leading With Help


The ministry can be a very stressful occupation! As rewarding as ministry can be it also reminds me of a whole bunch of work!  As I have studied Children’s Ministers over the past thirty plus years two things that are apparent are: we have a tendency to want to do things all by ourselves and at times (More times than most) in our own strength. This is not good. I should have listened to “Three Dog Night” years ago they told me “One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do!” or maybe the “Beatles” they not only sang about needing “help” but also “help from our friends.” Better yet I should have listened to Jesus. John 15: 5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. God never intended us to do the work of the ministry by ourselves! For that matter He never intended us to live the Christian life by ourselves. Jesus told his disciples that He would send them a helper or another counselor to be with us forever. He also said in John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Verse 27 adds “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” This is good news! It’s also the only way to live and lead effectively and handle the stress of the ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment