Monday, March 12, 2012

Eight Relationships That Matter In Ministry


 I’ve heard it my whole life, “It’s not just what you know but who you know that counts.” I believe you should learn as much as you can. But I've also found out that knowing the right people and learning what they know can be highly beneficial. In my 35+ years of ministry I have come to understand that the Ministry is all about relationships!

Jesus told us to go and make disciples of all nations. I've just not found a way to do that without a releationship with the person you are discipling. In fact I believe you can’t make disciples without a relationship. (And the deeper the relationship the better)  I love meeting the people I’m going to spend eternity with so this lesson is an easy one for me to live out. You've heard me say this before..."The lowest form of leadership is positional leadership." I have found when people know you and know you have their best interest in mind as well as the organization best interest they will gladly follow you. So over the next few days we're going to discuss eight key relationships that determine the quality of your leadership, no matter what type of ministry or size of church you are serving in. Here is whom you should know…

1. Know God. I shouldn't have to say this to folks who minister at church but it's true. It will really help your ministry to know God!  It will help every part of your life! One of my favorite questions to ask myself and those I lead is "Has there ever been a time in your life where you were closer to the Lord than you are right now. If your answer is yes, you are the only person who can fix that!

 Make time with the Lord daily. Appointments work! My life is so crazy I can't keep a standing set time each day to pray and read my Bible but I do have a standing reminder at the end of each day to look at tomorrow on my calendar and set an appointment to be with the Lord. You can keep those kind of appointments because you set the time base on each particular day's agenda. Another thing that will help you know God is to go to church! I'm talking more than to go there to work and give to others you need to go to a worship service and take in. Ministry is just like a checkbook. You have to make deposits first and minister out of your overflow. The more I worship him and learn about Him and His thoughts the better I know Him!

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment