Monday, April 11, 2011

Developing Depth Through Ministry


Over the years I have learned the hard way that doing the job alone, just doesn’t work.  I should have listened to Three Dog Night.  They tried to teach me that “One Is The Loneliest Number That You’ll Ever Do”, but I just would not listen.  Being a avid football fan I should have noticed that the teams with the most depth at key positions always win championships! (Roll Tide, Go Saints!) Moses also learned the hard way about doing the job alone.  In Exodus chapter 18 we are told about how Moses did everything in ministry by himself and it was causing problems on the job.  It was hard on the people as well, it was also not good for Moses, and it was not good for his family.  Jethro, Moses father-in-law gave him some very wise advise and counsel.  Simply put he was told to build depth!
.                 I know what you are thinking, “My volunteers can’t teach a class or do children’s ministry as well as I can.”  That may be true but there was a time in your life when you could not minister as good as you can now.  Someone allowed you to sorry all over a group of kids and get better by doing the ministry hands on.  We must give our volunteers the same chance we were given to learn by doing.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    I tend to under estimate how much time it takes me to do the detail work. I don't have the time to spend hours cutting, glueing, or folding. I love to pass as many things as I can to willing helpers.
    Also, who knew I'd love Ministering to Children so much if someone didn't first give me the opportunity to speak in front of them? I love to do the same for others.

    ReplyDelete