Thursday, August 04, 2011

Delegate or Die: Developing Volunteers Through Ministry-Part 4

10. Dare to confront others .  When you see things that need to be done differently gently confront them..  Don’t wait on things to become a problem, be on the offence and deal with things as they come up.
11. Make corrections and changes when necessary.  What if they quit?  Why be negative, If they quit they quit but what if they change and become a super leader?  If it’s not broke don’t fix it, in other words don’t make changes just for the sake of change.  Every service can be better than the last one if you make changes and corrections each week.  I make a list each Sunday, then spend my week correcting that list then next week, I get to make a new list.
12. Don’t let your volunteers get in a rut.  Don’t keep doing the same old stuff in ministry.  Watch out for complacency.  Be on the look out for familiarity.  Remember variety is the spice of life.  Keep volunteers excited and doing new things.  Each week I look for things I can suggest to my volunteers, have you tried this?  Keep things different.  Different is good!
13. Always set the pace, be the leader.  Be the kind of person you would like to work for.  Dare to lead no matter what.  Give your volunteers an example to follow and a model worth imitating.  
14. Don’t fret about what you don’t have, concentrate on what you have.  So many children’s ministers I know always talk about how many workers they don’t have instead of thanking God for the workers they do have and committing yourself to help each of them find their next level as a leader.
Lead who will follow.  If all you have to lead are kids, start with the kids.  It doesn’t matter how many workers you need, start where you are.  Jesus needed twelve disciples but he didn’t recruit all twelve at the same time.  He recruited them in ones and twos.  If you have a few faithful teens, lead them.  If you only have a few key adults, lead them.  When you pour yourself into improving the ability of those around you.  God will give you more.  You see when you do small things well, God will make you a ruler over more.  But the starting point is always right where you are.
15. As you experience success don’t forget about the things you did that caused you to gain success.  Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.  Don’t quit doing what has worked for you.   Remember to “dance with the girl that brought us to the dance.”  As your ministry grows keep a closeness among the workers.  We are a big church with a small church closeness.  Ask others about things that you have done they enjoyed or that they miss.  I now have people on my staff that serve me, that where kids in my children’s ministry.  I love to ask them “What were the things I did, or activities we had that stand out in your mind?”  I’m finding that things that have worked in the past will work again.   Also I’ve learned it’s the little things we do in ministry that really count.  I try to encourage my workers to not abandon the things they are doing that are working.  
Delegation is not an option for those who want to succeed in ministry.  But to succeed you must take inventory of where you are.  Start small and go from there.  I try to recruit my team one worker at a time.  Ask yourself and your volunteers, “What do I need to do differently?” What volunteers do you see potential in?  Commit to coach volunteers and let them learn by doing.  What are you waiting on?  Delegate or Die!

No comments:

Post a Comment