Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Why Behind The WOW!

Just because you call your church a family church doesn’t make it one. I can say I’m a car and sleep in the garage but it doesn’t make me one. The truth is no matter what churches say not all churches truly see the importance of teaching and training children and youth. I think our actions speak louder than words. 
At the same time I know churches who have spent thousands of dollars to “Pimp their Church” and yet what they offer families is just bright lights and smoke and mirrors. I am proud to say that I know more churches who are willing to do what they have never done before in able to reach children and young people in more effective ways. There are some amazing companies out there that can help transform your classrooms into kid friendly environments. It’s amazing what churches are doing to show kids they are special and to add some wow to  traditional church facilities. Each and every issue of this magazine you get article after article how to teach kids effectively and to help you build a wonderful team to fulfill Jesus’ commands to go into all the world and make disciples. But have you ever stopped and considered the why behind the wow?

First I would like us to look at a very familiar passage for us in Kidmin. Luke 9:48 tells us “Then he (Jesus) said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.” This is a powerful principle that I think lots of churches don’t fully understand.
Mr. Webster defines making someone feel welcome as to “Receive and treat someone hospitably.” so what does it mean to treat someone hospitably in regards to an environment? Again Mr Webster defines this as “pleasant and favorable for living in.” There is a huge difference in an environment being tolerable and one to be “pleasant and favorable.”  When an environment is favorable it is preferred and done with who you are receiving in mind. If you don’t enjoy seating somewhere you don’t take in what is being taught. I learned years ago the heart can’t grasp what the rear end can’t endure. Creating a welcoming environment means more than creating a room or an area. It’s also about creating an experience. A learning experience where you remember what you learn. You can live what do can’t remember.

more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment