Thursday, August 16, 2012

Serving Your Leader- Part 2


God has called us to serve our pastor or leader and help him or her fulfill the vision God has given them for your church whatever style, type or size it is. Since there is no mention of the title of Children’s Pastor in the Bible. So where do we fit in? Ephesians 4:11-12 tells us…” It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built
up. This means as a Children’s Pastor or Minister we exist to serve our pastor and or leader and help them care for the sheep. The only reason we have a job is because our pastor needs someone to represent them to the children and families of your church. Because our leaders already have a gig during services they need us to represent them. To do this we must know their vision or the direction they want the church to go. We must also know their heart. Know their dreams and help them get what they want. Every dream I’ve ever had in ministry and life I’ve seen come to pass by serving my leader(s) vision. To represent them effectively we must think the way they think and lead the way they lead. To do this you should carry yourself the way your leader or Pastor carries themselves. I don’t know why many children ministers think to be effective with children they have to be silly! Do your leader a favor, don’t be silly. If we are truly leaders under authority it’s our job to take the children in the same direction as the rest of the congregation. If we are called to serve our leader it’s our job to look for ways make our leaders’ job easier. Always be on the lookout for things that you can do to lighten their load this includes handling small assignments well. Do what you are asked to do and more. Keep them in the know but don’t run to them with every little detail or with your problems. One of my personal rules is that I don’t go to my Pastor when I am down or need encouragement. I want to be like King David and choose to
encourage myself in the Lord! We must support our leader. One of my favorite stories is found in Exodus 17:9-12 “Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands." So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up --one on one side, one on the other --so that his hands remained steady till sunset. Here what I learned from this story… It is not your leader’s job to hold you up. We exist to hold their arms up and set a rock underneath them to support them.

Helpers like us are called to a man, not a place or a people, it’s our responsibility to be loyal. We see this principle over and over again in the word. Jeremiah was served by Beruk, Elijah was served by Elisha. In the New Testament Paul was served by Barnabas and also by Timothy. Every leader I have served has put something into me that needed to be deposited!  I’m a better father, a better husband, a better leader and a better person because of the leaders God has placed in my life.

I want to encourage you to ask God to show you what you need to learn from your leader! As I wrote earlier just like in my life the secret of seeing your own dreams fulfilled is by serving another leader’s vision. Luke 16:12 tells us “And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own? The secret to getting that, which is your own by serving your leader well!

Jim, you don’t understand…”My leader won’t let me do what I want to do.” That’s because God wants you to do what your leader wants. Learn to serve! My leader won’t fund it. Believe God, He is your source. I believe it’s our job to trust God for the finances of your ministry so your leader doesn’t have to. That’s just one way that we can serve our leader. Look for anyway possible that you can make their job easier. No matter what, keep serving. God knows where to find you, besides your gifts will make room for you. Proverbs 18:16 says that “A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men.” I’ve seen first hand God knows how to promote you and bring blessing your way!
   
Every dream I’ve ever had in ministry has come true by serving another man’s vision and ministry. Want to be great? Keep serving the children and families at your church. Serve those you lead and serve your leaders well. You gain those you serve, you can take that nugget to the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment