Monday, March 21, 2011

Developing A Biblical World View In Your Children-Part 4

There are lots of voices that speak into our lives that challenge a biblical world view. As a parent and as a pastor I cannot block out every voice that speaks to my family and to my congregation nor should I but I have spent my life pointing out that God’s word contains truth and the truth of the Word is what will set us free. God’s word is the filter we should view the world through! Years ago I learned that all a stronghold is believing wrong information. When we take captive every thought and make it obedient to the word of God it produces right thinking that creates right actions. Our actions come from our thinking that’s why we have to be intentional about the voices we listen to and the actions we do, regardless of our age. When my children were small we limited the voices and the “traditions we planted in our children.” Just because a movie or TV show was animated or geared for children didn’t mean we allowed our children to feed on it. We have never lied to our children. We never told them there was a tooth fairy, Daddy bought their teeth. We never told them their Christmas presents came from the north pole or where made by elves. We told them the stories as stories not as truth. The truth was their presents came from Mom and Dad with love bought with money Father God provided to us because He loves His kids and wants us to love ours. One of the reasons my children believed me about Jesus is because we have never lied to them. When I told them about the hurt and pain from living contrary to God’s word they believed me, didn’t need to experience the pain themselves they learned from my mistakes and believed me, because I’ve always told them the truth. I learned when I first started working with kids always keep your promises to them. I never made a promise in children’s church that I couldn’t keep, if I did that at church I needed to do that at home. I never promised I would be at everything I told my girls I would try and I was honest if there was a possibility that I could not be there. I’m not saying I’ve never disappointed my children I have many times but I’ve told them the truth about life and tried to model what I was asking them to do and believe. So with these things in mind here’s my top ten list as a Children’s Pastor and a Dad on how to instill in your kids a Biblical World View.


1. Always be open and honest with your children about every subject. One thing I see in the ministry of Jesus he was never too busy for questions. Encourage your kids to ask questions. Listen to what they are asking and give them why as well what what. If you freak out then they’ll stop asking. Help them understand that there is a difference between a question and doubt and unbelief. Never be too busy for questions a big part of that is spending time with your kids. The time you spend with them and the less you freak out the more questions they’ll ask at home and at church.

2. Model to children what you want them to do when they grow up and place other models around them. Never forget when it’s come to Bible living that when you point at others there are three fingers pointing back at you. There can’t be one set of rules for you and another for them. Follow Paul’s words as he says “Come follow me as I follow Christ.” At the heart of D6 model is the fact that the parent must set the example. “These precepts must be upon your hearts.”

1 comment:

  1. This is a powerful post. I always encourage kids in my class to ask questions. And I try to answer whatever they ask as honestly as I can so they will understand. Sometimes they ask something challenging or difficult. Sometimes I've had to answer, "I don't know" or "The Bible doesn't tell us that." But we still talk about what the Bible does say and talk about our own ideas about what the answer could be.

    ReplyDelete